Sites touristiques, OuidahVillage de DjègbadjiTemple des PythonsOuidah plageRoute de l'esclaveFresquesPorte du non-retour, Ouidah
Places of interest
Christians and muslims
Colonization places
Savi places
Vodun cult places
Public places and markets
Tours
Water tour
Town tour
 
Another
Choose your tour
Health and Safety
Send a message
Useful links
 

 

Places of interest >>Christians and muslims

THE SAINT GALL SEMINAR

The French Father Steimetz installed here in 1899 the farm Jeanne d’Arc, commonly called "Padrigleta". He implanted a small seminar opened on February 14, 1914. This ensured the training of a native clergy, but had to close his doors in 1917 due to the outbreak of the First World War and disruptions related to mobilization under the French flag with a large number of priests to defend the metropolis. From 1919, the seminar reopened its doors. In 1929, the Swiss diocese of St. Gall has financed the construction of a seminary named St. Gall. With the buildings between 1930 and 1984, the seminar thought people from Benin, Niger, Burkina Faso, Togo  and Cameroon.

THE PROTESTANT CHURCH

The first English Protestants Christians came to Danxome  in the mid-nineteenth century by the Wesleyan mission of London. After receiving the king Guezo (1818 - 1858) permission to practice their religion in Ouidah, they settled there in 1843 but failed to convert many people. Between 1854 and 1864, this cult was banned in the kingdom because of the rejection of Vodun practice by Protestants. The missionaries took refuge in Agoue and Grand-Popo. King GLELE (1858 - 1889) granted them the grace and in 1879 they erected a new church. The citizen ISAAC NAHUM GNANHOUI offered them this place ; they built the present church in 1953 with clay brick.

THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION BASILICA

The first Catholic Christians arrived in Dahomey during the reign of King Agadja (1711 - 1742). They were Portuguese. The location of the Catholics at OUIDAH ascended to 1776 with the construction of a chapel inside the French fort. Later, the fathers of African Missions of Lyon (France) instilled a faith to the people to enable them to indulge in the settlement of colonization that would bring them happiness an ideal civilization.
In 1895, the French Father Steimetz received from the French colonial administration a field where he began the construction of a chapel. Work was suspended between 1906 and 1908 but the building in mud brick structure with a metal pole was dedicated in 1907. It had the status of Cathedral before becoming Basilica on December 8, 1989.

THE GREAT MOSQUE OF OUIDAH

The MALEHOSSOU caming from Atakpa in NIGERIA are the first Muslims of Dahomey. They settled in Abomey and CANA during the reign of the King Agadja (1711 - 1742) to assist spiritually the kingdom, to defend against attacks from YORUBA of OYO (NIGERIA). Islam began to spread gradually in Dahomey and especially under the reign of KPENGLA (1774 - 1789). It officially reached OUIDAH with the King Guezo (1818 - 1858), by the installation of unsold YORUBA slaves, or those brought back from Brazil after the Bahia revolt in 1825.
The elevation of the Great Mosque in the early nineteenth century took place under some San Salvador of Bahia churches architectural map. But it has undergone several restorations.

 

 

With financial support from GTZ GmbH under the PDDC Programm

 
© 2010 - 2018 OuidahTourism Office All rigths reserved