Sites touristiques, OuidahVillage de DjègbadjiTemple des PythonsOuidah plageRoute de l'esclaveFresquesPorte du non-retour, Ouidah
Places of interest
Christians and muslims
Colonization places
Savi places
Vodun cult places
Public places and markets
Tours
Water tour
Town tour
 
Another
Choose your tour
Health and Safety
Send a message
Useful links
 

 

Places of interest >>Colonization places

INSPECTORS TRAINING CENTER

Built in the late nineteenth century, the building with two levels of the school complex was built on a foundation and brick walls with clay. He rammed earth floor. He had served as a training and accommodation for the inspectors of primary education. Its operation was governed by the organization in 1903 of the service of education in the colonies and territories of French West Africa (AOF). With the creation in 1919 of GANVE Primary School, the building was taken as a class and staff office.

THE FIRST CITY COUNCIL OF OUIDAH

Built around 1950, this building has two levels of clay bricks and cement blocks. It is part of the municipality properties and received during the colonial period some of its services. After independence in 1960, it served as post office and center for social advancement until 1990. A trade union and the conciliation court of the city were also housed in turn. The building was restored in 2007.

THE FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY

Created in 1892 during the war of conquest of Dahomey by FRANCE, FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY has two parts. In the first part were buried members of Catholic families who, because of their religious conversion and hygienic reasons still not more like other "indigenous" burying their dead in houses. These were mainly Afro-Brazilian families. In the second part the French soldiers were buried and other African warriors (Senegal, Gabon, etc.), who had died during the conquest (1892 - 1894) or in the resistance and uprisings in the colony of Dahomey. Nowadays, it's the French Embassy which maintains that part.

THE OUIDAH COURT

The colony of Dahomey was governed by the laws of the city and orders made in the colony and in the French West Africa government (AOF). The judges were white people and were in charge of all litigation matters that have exceeded the powers of heads of villages or townships: domanial conflicts, robbery, rape, trafficking of illicit goods such as alcohol (sodabi) etc.. They defended well and especially the French interests.
This building was built around 1900 to house the COURT OF OUIDAH that solved the dispute in the district of Ouidah. Little used for this purpose, it served as a place of enlistment for military, agricultural extension center, etc..

THE TREASURY

THE HOUSE OF BRAZIL was built around 1930. During the colonial period, it had housed the TREASURY’s services of the OUIDAH CIRCLE. So the officials went there to collect their wages. The treasury assured all transactions of public finances and also offered a savings in high demand by the French mission in the circle of Ouidah. Restored between 2001 and 2003, the building is called HOUSE OF MEMORY, space to house a database and activities related to the transatlantic slave trade. It is however a center of historical interpretation.

RAILWAY STATION

The railway became a reality in Dahomey from 1902 with the installation of the first rails in Cotonou which had circulated coal trains and two drivers. Soon after, the colonial administration created a line almost parallel to the coast to develop transit and facilitate the delivery to Cotonou wharf to export products including palm oil.
THE TRAIN OF OUIDAH served until 1988 the COTONOU-Pahou OUIDAH line. Despite the removal of this line, the site now houses industrial buildings constructed between 1925 and 1935 to serve as an administration, commerce and residence.

OUIDAH'S HOSPITAL

In order to fight against malaria, infant mortality, diarrhea, cholera, smallpox and other diseases into the region, the colonial administration created in the early twentieth century OUIDAH'S HOSPITAL. Initially, physicians were white people. Some patients doubted the effectiveness of their care, but they were often brutally assumed to this complex. It has been restored and transformed into a Gerontologycenter even if it is constructed around 1920. It served as maternity, surgical, clinic, administrative block, etc.. The removal of these buildings from each other met the wishes of the patients gather in groups of diseases to reduce the contagion risk.

OFFICE OF THE CIRCLE COMMANDER

To end the monarchy of Dahomey who survived colonization, the colonial administration proceeded in 1895 to a territorial division. The colony was divided into circles, subdivisions and townships which were equivalent respectively to regions, municipalities and districts.
The CIRCLE COMMANDER of OUIDAH received orders from the governor of the colony. So, he made it on his activities. The building was built here between 1930 and 1940 to house his office until 1956, when the circles became prefectures. French prefects that OUIDAH had known had also used the building. After independence in 1960, local government and decentralized departments had occupied it.

THE CUSTOMS' OFFICE

During the colonial period (1894 - 1960), customs taxes were levied on exports (notably palm oil) and imports carried out by companies and traders in Africa. Instead, France and most of its companies traded without clearance fees in the colony of Dahomey.
This building in clay bricks was built around 1900. Until independence in 1960, it had been used as the CUSTOMS’s OFFICE of OUIDAH. French customs officials and blacks subordinates occupied it for the regulation of maritime transactions.


 

 

With financial support from GTZ GmbH under the PDDC Programm

 
© 2010 - 2018 OuidahTourism Office All rigths reserved