Sites touristiques, OuidahVillage de DjègbadjiTemple des PythonsOuidah plageRoute de l'esclaveFresquesPorte du non-retour, Ouidah
Places of interest
Christians and muslims
Colonization places
Savi places
Vodun cult places
Public places and markets
Tours
Water tour
Town tour
 
Another
Choose your tour
Health and Safety
Send a message
Useful links
 

 

Heritage >>Colonial heritage

Ouidah's Hospital

NAME : Ouidah’s Hospital    

LOCALIZATION

Commune :Ouidah
Headquarter  : Ahouandjigo
Address  :French Fort

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage : Colonial buildings
Fonction  Initiale  : Administrative et medical
Current function  : Administrative
Period of construction : Around 1920

CARACTERISTIC

Brief description

Set of built in clay brick coated with cement, covered with sheets (roofs refurbished), with a rammed earth floor covered with cement surrounded by verandahs and balustrades cement, comprising paneled shutters.

History

It was built by the colonial administration in 1920. It reflects the hygienists principles that characterize any colonial space organization.
Also, the buildings are separate and apart to reduce the risk of contagion in the hospital.

Office of Tourism Building (formerly UGDO building)

NAME : Office of Tourism Building (formerly UGDO building)        

LOCALIZATION

Commune :Ouidah
Headquarter :Maro (near the site of French Fort Cultural Center and the City)

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage : A set of colonial buildings
Fonction  Initiale : Administrative
Current function : Being restored
Period of construction : Around 1950
 
CARACTERISTIC

Brief description

Set of frames (2-storey building and annexes) built clay brick (the oldest parts) and cement blocks (parts refurbished), tamped soil with a layer of cement, covered with sheets.

History

Colonial style building was built in 1950. It has successively housed many public services, including:

- Former City Council;
- Formerly the Office of Post and Telecommunications;
- Social Promotion Centre and Headquarters UGDO and served until 2003 the Court of Conciliation.
- Social Services from 2003 to 2006.

It should be renovated by the UGDO Association to house a Tourist Information office.

At this stage, the building has been a study of architectural restoration, is being restored (The Municipality and the International Francophone Mayors’Association AIMF)

Codo Toafode's House

Name : Codo Toafode’s House     

LOCALIZATION

Commune : Ouidah
Headquarter :    Closed to Zobe Market

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage : Real Estate
Initial function : Living and commercial house
Current function : Living and commercial house
Period of construction : Around 1910

CARACTERISTIC  

History

This building belongs to the family Codo, and served as a trading house, and it reflected the opulence of the rich merchants of the early century.

It presented a facade richly decorated with moldings and balustrades.

NAME : Dagnon's House

NAME : Dagnon’s House        

LOCALIZATION
    
Commune :  Ouidah
Headquarter : Ahouandjigo
Address  : Lordship Steinmetz’ Street

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage : Colonial style house with African Brazilian ways
Fonction  Initiale  : * Residential
Current function  : Residential used by the regretted Dagnon’s relatives
Period of construction :Around 1902

CARACTERISTIC

Brief description

Colonial building with two (02) levels including decorative African Brazilian loans, built in the early 20th century (around 1902) has foundations and walls of brick clay. Level I has a wooden floor.

The house with 2 staircases and a wooden one rebuilt in cement blocks leading to a small porch, and old wells.

History

The house was built in 1902 by the late John Dagnon, a wealthy merchant of Ouidah, with colonial architecture (built in two levels surrounded by open galleries initially on pillars) and decorative African Brazilian loans.

The building was leased to the colonial administration, then occupied by a police station for 25 years.

It was inhabited by the owner (1940 to 1977) after 1977 and then leased the CARDER, as both residential and commercial fertilizer warehouse.
Since 1989, it was occupied by Joseph Marie Dagnon Epiphane and his wife and serves as a dwelling.

Office of Tourism Building (formerly UGDO building)

LOCALIZATION

Commune :        Ouidah
Headquarter    :    Maro (near the site of French Fort Cultural Center and the City)

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage       : A set of colonial buildings
Fonction  Initiale                 : Administrative
Current function                 : Being restored
Period of construction   : Around 1950
 
CARACTERISTIC


Brief description

Set of frames (2-storey building and annexes) built clay brick (the oldest parts) and cement blocks (parts refurbished), tamped soil with a layer of cement, covered with sheets.

History

Colonial style building was built in 1950. It has successively housed many public services, including:

- Former City Council;
- Formerly the Office of Post and Telecommunications;
- Social Promotion Centre and Headquarters UGDO and served until 2003 the Court of Conciliation.
- Social Services from 2003 to 2006.

It should be renovated by the UGDO Association to house a Tourist Information office.

At this stage, the building has been a study of architectural restoration, is being restored (The Municipality and the International Francophone Mayors’Association - AIMF)

 

 

With financial support from GTZ GmbH under the PDDC Programm

 
© 2010 - 2018 OuidahTourism Office All rigths reserved