Sites touristiques, OuidahVillage de DjègbadjiTemple des PythonsOuidah plageRoute de l'esclaveFresquesPorte du non-retour, Ouidah
Places of interest
Christians and muslims
Colonization places
Savi places
Vodun cult places
Public places and markets
Tours
Water tour
Town tour
 
Another
Choose your tour
Health and Safety
Send a message
Useful links
 

 

Heritage >>Military heritage/ Treat Forts

Portuguese Fort

Name  : Portuguese Fort    

LOCALIZATION

Commune :Ouidah
Headquarter : Ganvè
Address  :

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage  : Real Estate
Initial function : Portuguese Resident concession in Dahomey
Current function : History Museum of Ouidah
Période de construction    : XVIIIth century

CARACTERISTICS  

Brief description :

The fort consists of a set of buildings protected by walls that possess the gun turrets topped by the four corners. There is the central building storey annex buildings of the body guards, the chapel, the outdoor theater and a landscaped courtyard for artisans.
The gaps are filled and the drawbridge is gone.

History

Built in the 18th century, the fort was occupied successively by the merchant Francisco de Souza of Brazil in 1788, followed by Catholic missionaries in 1861. In 1865 the Portuguese authority takes possession of the fort and install a resident and the site became a Portuguese enclave until 1960.
At independence, the building was given back to Dahomey but the resident fire before leaving the fort. In the late sixties, the Government restored the house and converts it in museum.

Formerly French Fort Place

NAME : Formerly French Fort Place                                         

LOCALIZATION

Commune :  Ouidah
Headquarter : Ahouandjigo
Address :Near the War Memorial and the Post Office

IDENTIFICATION

Fonction  Initiale  : French fort site
Current function   : Green Space
Construction Period  : 1671

CARACTERISTICS

Brief description

There is no further trace of the former Fort which was destroyed earlier this century (see Abbée Bullet who in 1776 established a plan of the French Fort, surrounded by a garden of culture).

History Museum of Ouidah covers comp plan survey in 1776 inspired by Abbot Bullet.

History

Mr. d'Albe, commissioner of the navy, sent by Louis XIV to the King of Allada had the right to build a fort to protect French trade goods looting because they had to be transported from the coast to Sahe (controlled by the kingdom of Allada).

The Construction was completed in 1671 and the establishment of Royal Fort of St Louis of Gregoy. The fort was enlarged in 1704 by Jean Doublet and allowed the staff of the East India Company. At the time he was 10 meters by 80 meters and was built in the ground bar and covered with thatch.

•    En 1750, Pruneau de Pommegorge, directeur du Fort, consolide le bâtiment avec des briques de terre cuites (tourelles et poudrière).
•    En 1776 on y compte 60 canons et il comporte un logement, un corps de logis, une chapelle, des magasins et un office (rf Abbé Bullet). Puis devenu  entrepôt, il est un lieu de traite. Le 04 Février 1794, suite à l’abolition de l’esclavage, le fort est abandonné et évacué en 1797.
•    En 1841, il est concédé à la maison Régis avec le droit d’en faire usage pour le commerce. Les bâtiments sont totalement rénovés et en 1890, toute la dimension fortifiée de l’ensemble n’existe plus. En 1908 l’administration coloniale fait combler les fossés.
•    En 1950, plusieurs bâtiments sont construits sur le domaine : les PTT, le mémorial, le centre culturel. Une partie de site sera laissée à l’abandon. Depuis 2003, a été aménagé en espaces verts.
            
• In 1750, Pommegorge de Pruneau, director of the Fort, strengthens the building with mud brick (turrets and magazine).

• In 1776 there are 60 guns and includes a housing, a main building, chapel, shops and an office (rf. Abbot Bullet). Then become warehouse, it is a place for trafficking. On February 4, 1794, following the abolition of slavery, the fort was abandoned and evacuated in 1797.
In 1841 • It is conceded at Regis Company with the right to use it for trade. The buildings are fully renovated and in 1890 fortified the whole dimension of the whole no longer exists. In 1908 the colonial administration bridged the gaps.
• In 1950, several buildings are on the field: the PTT, the memorial, the cultural center. Part of site will be neglected. Since 2003, has been converted into green space.

French Military Cemetery

Name  :  French Military Cemetery

LOCALIZATION

Commune : Ouidah
Headquarter :  Womè

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage: Real Estate
Initial function  : Treasury in colonial times until 1980
Current function : Museum (Public) ; Interpretive History Centre
Période de construction : Around 1892

CARACTERISTICS  

Brief Description :

Graveyard of the colonial period and for soldiers of the French colonial army. It is a set of tombs painted white and topped with crosses. In the center is a monument to the dead.

Former English-Fort William-Fort Bankole Concession

NAME : Former English-Fort William-Fort Bankole Concession

LOCALIZATION
    
Commune :  Ouidah
Headquarter : Sogbadji I
Address    : Derrière la station d’essence

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage   :     

•  Historic Site
•  Colonial building of two levels

Initial function   :Commercial (slave trade) Residential
Current function : Residential (Rental)

CARACTERISTICS

Brief description

The original site was sold and broken up in 1963

The two-storey building will remain in very poor shape. It is built with clay brick with a wooden floor upstairs and a gallery closed by windows with shutters fixed and a cover sheet very degraded.

Today there is no trace of the fort except a few guns. The site has been fragmented and occupied by several frames that have become, in general, shops in the center of the city.

History

At the archives, the plan of the Fort was established by the Chevalier de Marchais at the end of the seventeenth century, 1725).

The first English settlement was probably built around 1667 at Sahe, that of Ouidah around 1671 / 1682 to facilitate the access to the sea to the English.

Barbot described it in 1730 as a square of 100 yards with 4 turrets on the side of 24 guns, with a plank drawbridge, over ditches 20 feet deep.

The British occupied the William Fort from 1671 to 1807, then sold it to a German trading house Goedelt Hamburg who set up a factory.

In 1914 - 1918, Goedelt Home was expelled from the colony and the site taken by the English Commercial House John Walkden who sold the land in 1963 to former employees.

Portuguese Fort

LOCALIZATION

Commune : Ouidah

Headquarter  : Ganvè

IDENTIFICATION

Nature of the heritage      : Real Estate
Initial function          : Portuguese Resident concession in Dahomey
Current function         : History Museum of Ouidah
Période de construction    : XVIIIth century

CARACTERISTICS  

Brief description :


The fort consists of a set of buildings protected by walls that possess the gun turrets topped by the four corners. There is the central building storey annex buildings of the body guards, the chapel, the outdoor theater and a landscaped courtyard for artisans.
The gaps are filled and the drawbridge is gone.

History

Bâtit au 18ème siècle, le fort fut habité successivement par le négociant brésilien Francisco de Souza en 1788, puis par les missionnaires catholiques en 1861. En 1865 l’autorité portugaise reprend possession du fort et y installent un Résident et le site devient une enclave portugaise jusqu’en 1960. A l’indépendance, le bâtiment est rendu au Dahomey mais le Résident incendie le fort avant de partir. Vers la fin des années soixante, l’Etat restaure la maison en fait un musée.   

Built in the 18th century, the fort was occupied successively by the merchant Francisco de Souza of Brazil in 1788, followed by Catholic missionaries in 1861. In 1865 the Portuguese authority takes possession of the fort and install a resident and the site became a Portuguese enclave until 1960.
At independence, the building was given back to Dahomey but the resident fire before leaving the fort. In the late sixties, the Government restored the house and converts it in museum.

 

 

With financial support from GTZ GmbH under the PDDC Programm

 
© 2010 - 2018 OuidahTourism Office All rigths reserved